Hon. Mathew Opoku Prempeh aka Napo allegedly named as NPP running mate

His recent comments regarding the power outage situation or dimwit has been cited as further reason why it may be problem managing his platform as running mate who may have to sometimes lead discussion into key economic and governance issues in the country.

Some close advisors to the Vice President also suspect the former Education Minister of harbouring Presidential dreams; they therefore suspect that the Ashanti royal may turn around to contest Bawumia in case the NPP does not win the upcoming election.

Stronger Reasons To Pick Napo

The odds of the Napo becoming NPP running mate are said to be very high due to positive factors going in his favour as against what goes against him.

Research conducted around the various figures shortlisted earlier as possible running mates showed Napo retains overwhelming support within the NPP especially in Greater Accra, Ashanti, Eastern and Northern and surprisingly even Volta Region despite perceptions he lacked support there.

Although Napo faces opposition from some persons in his own home region, the Kumasi Traditional Council as well as the Manhyia Palace where NAPO’s father is Apagyahene are said to be “excited” about his nomination.

Approximately 80% of the current NPP National executives as well as over 90% of all regional and constituency executives of the NPP support the choice of Napo as running mate.

A polling of Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Chief Executives undertaken by National Security indicated as much as 70% of all MMDCEs back Napo as the NPP running mate with the remaining 30% splintered among 5 other potential nominees.

This has led to criticism that NAPO’s support base appear to be inside the NPP rather than outside but his supporters say Dr. Bawumia needs someone who can help him consolidate the party base and energize them to campaign before seeking the “external bonus votes”.

One of the figures whose campaign for the NPP ahead of the 2024 election is crucial is Assin Central Lawmaker Kennedy Agyapong who has said he would only join the gray if Napo is made running mate.

Furthermore, all but 2 regional ministers of the Akufo-Addo government say they prefer Napo as running mate.

This portal is reliably informed in a matter of days, barring any unforeseen contingencies, the NPP flagbearer will be submitting the name of Napo nominee to the National Council of the party for deliberation and possible approval.

Prof Rita Akosua Dickson diversion

Last week, US-based Vlogger Kevin Taylor alleged that Vice Chancellor of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) Prof Rita Akosua Dickson could be named running mate of the NPP.

Mr. Taylor wrote on his X timeline that barring any last-minute changes, the academic may end on the ticket as running mate.

“Baring (sic) any last minute changes Rita Akosua Dickson, Vice Chancellor of KNUST is expected to be named running mate of Dr Bawumia.” he wrote.

Insiders told MyNewsGh.com this was a possible diversion from the impending naming of Napo.

The US-Ghanaian journalist has been critical of Napo in recent weeks making allegations of corruption against him. The ministry of energy has dismissed those allegations.

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Scroll to Top